Hey Baby, Did You Miss Me?

 


Photo by vadim kaipov on Unsplash 

     Deirdre hadn't been sleeping much. The virus stuff had made her feel isolated and when she closed her eyes every night she could not sleep. She started taking mild sedatives like Chamomile and Valerian. They didn't help. She smoked some weed, but that didn't help either. She ended up just drinking a lot of coffee to make it through her days.  

     All the days were blending into each other. As she closed her eyes again to try to sleep she heard a soft knock at her door. She sat up and grabbed her robe. Nobody was supposed to be visiting. This time of night, even before the shelter in place order, nobody would dare show up on her doorstep so late. She dragged herself into the living room. As she peered through the peephole, she saw a guy standing there in a hoodie, smoke blowing out from his mouth as he puffed on a cigarette. She definitely did not know this guy.

     "What do you want?"

     "Hey, Deirdre, what's up?"

     "Do I know you? I don't think I know you. You must have the wrong place."

     "No babe, I have the right place, can I come in?"

     "Are you crazy? No, absolutely not."

     As she closed the door, she felt breathing behind her. He was standing there, in her house. She wasn't getting a dangerous vibe from him, more annoying.

     "I'll only stay for a little while. I notice you haven't been sleeping, that's kind of hot."

     "Yeah, how so?"

     "You know why, can I have a hug?"

     "No. Well, if you're here anyway, do you want some water or something?"

     "I think we should get really drunk."

     "I don't, I have to work tomorrow."

     "Yeah, but it will make you feel better, kind of like those cupcakes you polished off earlier."

     Deirdre blushed, how did he know about the cupcake incident. She had actually upset her stomach with those, and it didn't make her feel better anyway.

     She led him into the kitchen and poured a glass of Vodka for each of them.

     "You still seeing that counselor?"

     "That's none of your business!" she huffed.

     He winked, 'Well, you know if you were I wouldn't be here, how long has it been?"

     "Fuck you."

     "No seriously, I stayed away for a while, didn't I?'

     "I suppose, but last time I told you to never come back."

     "I think you are being a little unrealistic about that, I'll always find you, Deirdre."   

     She thought about his last visit. It was right after her boyfriend had left her. Her unwelcome guest had stayed for months. She didn't think he would ever leave. Eventually, he had, and she really thought he wouldn't be back. She had stopped seeing her counselor because she was doing so much better. She was off the meds because she didn't want to take them for the rest of her life. They made her feel flat, emotionless. As much as she hated the pain, she missed the joy that was the flip side of those powerful emotions. 

     Shaking out of her thoughts she looked at him. He was looking at her with desire in his eyes. The bottle of Vodka on the table was quickly emptying. He motioned for her to move in close to him. She resisted at first, but after the drinks, it was harder to say no and she curled up in his arms.

     "See, I'm going to stay with you now for a while."

     She nodded. She moved her head close into his chest as he caressed her hair. Her tears fell all over him, but he loved it. When depression shows up for a booty call, it's hard to say no.             

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your Dog

Ascent

Horses